We’ve gathered our favorite posts to help you cut back on the trial-and-error time and get to the good stuff—finding the career that’s right for you.
It’s one of the biggest decisions of your adult life: what do you want to “be when you grow up”? It’s also one of the toughest, and it can take years of trial and error for some people to discover the right path.
Which is why we’ve gathered 11 of our favorite posts on choosing a career to help you cut back on the trial-and-error time and get to the good stuff—actually beginning the career of your dreams:
1. How to Decide on a Career (Even If You Don’t Know What You Want) – Deciding on a career can be simplified into three basic problems. Conquer these, and you’ll dramatically up your chances of finding the job that’s right for you.
2. The 2 Biggest Reasons You Can’t Decide on a Career Direction – If you’re looking at others’ seemingly effortless career choices with envy, take comfort: most of us don’t seamlessly find our way to our dream jobs. Here are two of the biggest hurdles you’re likely facing, and how to get over them.
3. Are We Asking the Wrong Question When Planning Our Futures? – Instead of wondering what we’re supposed to do with our lives, perhaps the better question is to ask who we want to be.
4. 4 Secrets to Figuring Out What You Want to Do With Your Life – Tired of jumping from job to job, never finding one you love (or even like a little)? Here are four things you can do right now to figure out which direction you should be going in.
5. 3 Lies You’re Telling Yourself About Your 20s – The vision you have of how your 20s “should be” can influence so many things—your happiness, your motivation, your life choices. So make sure you’re not falling for any of these misguided notions.
6. Should You Wait Until Your 30s to Choose a Career? – Scientists now say your brain is still developing well into your 30s. Does that mean it might make sense to wait until then to make big life decisions?
7. How to Overcome a Quarter-Life Crisis and Find Your Dream Job – Has your career hit the wall (and all your energy and enthusiasm along with it)? Here’s how to reevaluate and get back on track.
8. The Ultimate Secret to Discovering Your Passion – “Follow your passion” may be misleading advice. Here’s how to try cultivating your passion instead.
9. Why Finding Your Career Path is Like Choosing a Spouse – You don’t start off knowing the exact person you’re going to marry, and no one expects you to. So why do we expect this when it comes to our careers?
10. That Work Best If You Have Multiple Passions – What if you want to be several things when you grow up? You don’t have to settle for just one interest, as this post demonstrates.
11. How to Succeed as a Multi-Passionate Careerist – Still having trouble choosing which way to best integrate your many interests? Try this guide for tips on how to find your way.